America(na) Lost

  People ask me why I take so many photos inside of diners. Photos of the staff, customers, empty plates, tips, food, etc, etc. It's mostly because I love diners and always have but it also has to do with the fact the the 21st century hasn't been kind to them and they're disappearing at an alarming rate. I've watched a few dozen of them close since the year 2000 and like the Automat, the cafeteria, the Luncheonette, and the Jewish Deli they'll be only a fond memory soon unless they can become tourist traps.

  Today Natasha and I went to Daddypops which is a great diner in Hatboro, Pennsylvania only to be greeted with a sign stating that they're closed due to staffing shortage. First, this has nothing to do with covid but everything to do with younger generations who think working in a diner is beneath them. So we made our way to the Warminster West Diner and yet there was another sign stating they were going to close early due to staffing issues. As we sat down to eat breakfast the place was somewhat busy and what stood out is that even though both Natasha and I are in our early 50s we were easily the youngest people eating there.






Comments

Popular Posts