Diners

I've always loved diners. Those mostly 24 hour greasy spoons full of all walks of life. From the time I was a small child walking into the Empire Diner to just this morning having breakfast at Bob's Diner it's one of the few things in life I just can't do without. Unfortunately at some point in what's left of my life I might have to deal with the loss of all of them near me. Over the last 25 years I've watched one after the other close, most over the last 12 years. Off the top of my head I can name four dozen diners lost in Philadelphia and Manhattan, more if I count the local suburbs. Right now there are only two diners left in all of downtown Philadelphia with one them rumored to be closing soon. In New York I've watched so many close that there are only a handful if that from Penn Station all the way down to the South Street Seaport. Many that are left can't find third shift workers so they're ending their 24 hour service. To me and my friends who feel at home in these places we are devastated.


Comments

Popular Posts