Suburbs In The City

   Yesterday after dinner instead of watching the horrible local news on tv I decided to take a walk in my Chestnut Hill neighborhood. I've slacked off from taking photos here this Fall and Winter to spend most of my time closer to center city but I would like more than anything to change that. The shadows being cast were wonderful and the color is really beginning to pop. One of the best things about showing my photos of Chestnut Hill is that no one asks me "where's that couch on the street", " where's that bathtub in the yard", etc, etc. See, those things are only "cool" and photo worthy if captured in a more urban environment according to the younger wannabe and instagram photographers. While very well known older photographers such as William Eggleston (83), Martin Parr (70), Bill Owens (83) made a career out of photographing such "boring" places. So have many others but they have been ignored over the last 10-15 years because of bad trends in photography most set forth by social media. Seriously how many times can you look at photos of the same buildings, the same graffiti, the same busker, the same blight?

                                                  Person cutting lawn on Willow Grove Ave


Bathtub flower pot


Baseball field backstop


Yellow tractor wheel


Taxi on Germantown Ave


Free red couch













Comments

Popular Posts