More Of The Same

   I figured out away to have another day at Bob's Diner and that's not to go anywhere else during the week. I believe my hopes of a real coffee shop returning are over so I'm not going to waste my time in what passes for a coffee shop today. Those $3.50 decaf drip coffees just aren't worth it when matched with todays excuse for a coffee shop. Anyone who lived in center city as long as I did remembers such great coffee shops like the Quarry Street Cafe, Last Drop, The Bean and the Java Company. Dimly lit comfortable places with books, art on the walls and sometimes graffiti. All warm and worn surfaces and not todays harshly lit neutral toned vanilla boxes with all the appeal of a dentist office. Places were full of people having conversations while today they're coffices and stayed open till midnight, sometime later but today coffee after 5pm is hard to find. ok my coffee shop rant is over for now. RIP coffee shops.


   Meeting new people at Bob's has been wonderful. People who still appreciate what a diner has to offer and the history Americana behind it. The people showing up to meet me and wanting their photo taken has really increased lately.


  There is no other type of establishment that consistently takes car of their long time regulars. They don't take them for granted for they know how much they rely on them while the regulars are well aware just how much they need the diner themselves.


   Another new employee. Some are at first hesitant to having their photo taken but once I return with a print of them in the book they have a smile on their face. I want these people to be remembered.


   The great 75 year old door handles at Bob's. I love these handles and if anything ever happens to this diner they are mine.







Comments

Popular Posts