The Air Is On Fire

  Over the last 10 days the only photos I've taken were in a diner. No Instax photos, no snapshots, no nothing. That's never happened to me before. The problem is that I'm just not seeing anything worth photographing which could be exasperated by my painting block, A creative block is a horrible thing for an artist and for me it creates self-doubt, headaches, insomnia and a screwed up digestive system that's already a mess to begin with.


   When I reach this state nothing seems to calm me. Meditation fails to help. I try to lose myself in a book, movie or documentary but that doesn't work either because all I can think about is painting and taking photos. When I was younger a thing like this didn't bother me so much but then again that might have something to do with amount of Japanese Whisky I was consuming but today at 53 years old it feels like time is stalking me.


   What's not helping is that I've failed at social media, print and painting sales are in the toilet, there are no art grants coming in and the chances of me being rediscovered in what's left of my lifetime is slim to none. All of this can be paralyzing and force an artist into isolation, into become a recluse.



Comments

Popular Posts