Bob's Diner, Generosity and a 46 Year Love Affair

   The last week at Bob's Diner began as a strange one. I was having my normal breakfast and looking for photos when I approached a customer seated in a booth and asked to take her photo. Her answer was no. Ok, while not a big deal because over the last 20 years I've had plenty of people to me no but this was the first time that a customer at Bob's said no. I was caught off guard. About 15 minutes later I approach a very well dressed man at the counter and explained to him about this project, showed him the snapshot album, and then ask to take his photo. His answer was no. At this point I was finding this new development funny but I also wondered if it was me. Did I have something on my face ? Was it because I shaved off my goatee? I was at a loss.

Photo #166


   The price of eggs have gone up over 300% but they're refusing to raise their prices. They don't want to drive people away, their regulars or elderly patrons on a fixed income.

                                                                          Photo #167


   A lot of the conversation at the diner has to do with the surrounding neighborhood and the massive changes happening that are destroying the many decades of a close community. These conversations haunt me like a bad nightmare. I worry about the lifetime residents, many who work at the diner, who are now treated as outsiders.

                                                                           Photo #168


   While sitting at the counter the smallest things can put a smile on my face such as a gentleman ordering a simple bowl of cereal.

                                                                             Photo #169



   As the week went on more people wanted their photos taken and the strangeness of the beginning of the week was gone.

                                                                            Photo #170


  I like observing the regulars. They mostly order the same thing every visit and always try to sit on the same stool or in the same booth. When they walk thru the door and their regular seat isn't available a look of disappointment washes over their face. To them it's like someone walked into their house and sat in their chair.  This is normal in just about every diner I've ever been in. The photographer in me has kept me from having a regular seat because I'm always looking for different angles in which to take photos.

                                                                               Photo #171


 These two ladies have been coming to Bob's for 46 years. Sadly I don't think the younger generations will ever experience something like this and I'm not sure they even want to.

                                                                        Photo #172


 This morning I was having breakfast with Natasha when the waitress (Sarah) came over to the table a took the check away. We then noticed that she walked to every booth and every customer at the counter and did the same thing. We were all a little confused until she announced that the gentleman in the photo below paid for everyone. When I say that diners are special places this is what I'm mean.

                                                                            Photo #173



Comments

Popular Posts