Bob's Diner

  I met a lot of new people at Bob's over the last week. Some actually showed up to have their photo taken which is not only something I like, it's also good for the diner's business. Even the waitresses have been helping me out.
                                                                             Photo #157


Iv'e been waiting for over 4 years for someone to give me a "Philadelphia" hello. Yes, this is a greeting for those who grew up here.

Photo #158

What's better than when someone comes to the diner to have their photo taken? When they come back to see what the print looks like.

Photo #159

The counter is always the best place to sit and meet people. Before you know it they become a regular and you begin greeting each other by first names.

Photo #160

I've said before that I'm worried about the longevity of diners. What's going to happen when those of us over the age of 50 can no longer go or even work there? That's one reason why I document these places.

Photo #161

Seeing people smile after their meal puts a smile on my face. When they want to engage with me and my camera that smile gets bigger.

Photo #162

 It's hard to understand all the hostility and violence on the street when there are so many people enjoying themselves in the diner. Is it the mature age group the frequents it? Is it the food? 

Photo #163

I keep telling myself that I can reach 1000 photos. That is if my health holds out and the diner doesn't close in the next 4 years. Why 1000 ? I'm not sure but sometimes that number doesn't seem enough. My wish is to have huge exhibition and to publish a massive book so more people can understand what a diner is. A place where all walks of life are welcome and treated equal. A place to make new friends over a bottomless cup of coffee. There's no ego, no one is trying to impress and most technology is checked at the door. A place where you can actually see cash money. Is there anyplace more American than that?

Photo #164

There are several potential problems when you embark on a project of this size that could last close to a decade. I mentioned a few above but a new problem has emerged that I wasn't expecting. When I began this in 2018 I decided I wanted a snapshot esthetic to the photos and I wanted to limit the size in which they could be printed. I found that the Canon G2 from 2001 with its tiny 4 megapixel sensor was perfect for this product. I owned the original G1 in the year 2000 and I liked the color, the 4:3 photo ratio and flash so I knew what to expect. In 2018 you could be these cameras for $20 but because of a recent Gen Z trend on TikTok these cameras, if you can even find one working are selling for up to $200. They along with a lot of other early 2000 digicams are being snatched up and being resold for ridiculous prices. Are these cornballs seriously taken photos with these cameras ? The answer is no !!!  Are they printing the photos? No again ! They're taking bad photos on purpose and posing with the camera to show the continued stupidity of social media. This has caused profiteers to take notice and make it almost impossible for photographers like me to get they equipment they need.

Photo #165






Comments

Popular Posts