This Week At Bob's Diner

 I'm approaching the end of another snapshot album and by the end of February it will be time for a 300 photo capacity album. People have asked me why I don't buy a 1000 capacity album instead of of moving forward at only 100 at a time. It's easy, I superstitious even though I'm by no means a superstitious person. If I jump too far ahead something will happen to me, the diner, or both and I won't come close to reaching my goal for this portfolio. I know that sounds stupid but age can do some strange things to your mind.

                                                                            Photo 174  


Where else would you see a two dollar bill being used for a tip besides at a diner? There was a waitress at Little Pete's diner who was known for accepting the bill for a tip so she would give them to her grandchildren. Even last year at the now closed Melrose Diner in South Philadelphia I took photos of them on the counter. There's something comforting about seeing them.

Photo 175




  The camera can have a powerful effect on people. Just a few years ago it was hard to get the staff to interact with each other for my photos. Most likely because no on ever showed interest in them before. I want to know them and I want them to trust me. With every passing visit they believe more in the importance of documenting the fading Americana that is the diner.

                                                                              Photo 176


     Every once in awhile someone stops me to ask about the old digital camera I'm using. They remember it from when they where younger, smile, and it opens them up to having their photo taken with it.

                                                                            Photo 177


  I truly enjoy meeting new people at Bob's and what usually wins them over to having their photo taken if the snapshot book doesn't work is calling the staff and regulars by name. I guess the idea that I'm a kook with a camera dissipates from their mind.

                                                                           Photo 178


   When I hear other customers call the waitresses by their first names I know that they are regulars and that they most likely will be open to having their photo taken. They want to be remembered as being part of this diner.

                                                                             Photo 179



Photo 180



Some people don't even let me get through my sales pitch before saying yes to having their photo taken. Usually their biggest concern is that their photo will end up all over social media.

Photo 181



One of my favorite seats at the counter is directly in front of the toast station. The amount of toast that's put thru those toasters in a single hour is truly remarkable.

Photo 182











Comments

Popular Posts