400 !

  This morning I went to Bob’s Diner for breakfast and I was able to get my 400th photo. Over the last 5 years the staff and customers have been great about me interrupting their work and meals, and setting a flash off in their face. They listen to my short story about why I’m documenting this old diner and with some luck only a handful people have denied me a photo. This ongoing project has also given me the opportunity to have real conversations with real people again.

  After arriving back home I edit and print the photos for the week. First I make 8.5x11” prints for my archive, then I print the photos again on 4x6 paper for a very large snapshot album that I carry with me to the diner. The customers and staff enjoy looking through it and even those who've felt uneasy with having their photo taken seem to relax after seeing themselves in this large family of people. If not for this album I believe a lot more people would be saying no to having their photo taken.

  Right now I don’t even consider 400 photos to be the halfway point with my initial goal being 1000 photos. If not for the pandemic my photo count would be closer to 600 hundred, but hey, I’m in no rush, It’s not like the diner is going anywhere…right. The truth is the diner is for sale and might already have a new owner who is currently working there as a part time cook to acclimate himself. He’s a very nice guy and a good cook but I’m still worried with all the recent diners closing in the area. All of this has caused a bit of anxiety for me, while giving me flashbacks of what happened to Little Pete’s Diner. A project that I should have started long before I did. With a little meditation I try to control my anxiety and think of only the next photo on my way to number 500, at which point I’ll need a larger photo album.













Comments

Popular Posts