Untitled Life #14

  I'm not much of a gear person and once I find something that works for me I rarely change it. For 12 years I mostly used the simple Ricoh GRD camera from 2005 for the majority of my black and white photography until it was time to move on. Price and availability of this camera have put an end to me using it. 

   Today about half of my photography is color and in 2018 I bought the Fuji X100F for that purpose but to tell you the truth it's not my favorite camera for color, it's the 4 megapixel Canon G2 camera from 2001. The camera is slow, has a very limited ISO which tops out at 400 and gets noisy above ISO 100 but the colors with a simple click of the mouse in Lightroom produces better colors for me out of the RAW files than my Fuji. The CCD sensor photos are somewhere between Kodachrome and saturated "tourist" films such as ColorPlus. For the last 5+ years I've been using this camera to document a local diner and I'm beginning to use it as an everyday camera. Some have questioned the puny 4 megapixel sensor, especially when it comes to printing photos but I have made some great prints on paper up to 17x22". The trick to using these older digicams is, one slow down. Two, treat it like Kodachrome where proper exposure is key. 

   I keep asking myself on what to do with the Fuji X100F and I think it's time to let it go. The money can go towards paper, ink and maybe another Canon G2 camera.






  


Comments

Popular Posts