My Box Is Getting Smaller

   Boxing myself in has begun to insulate me against the calamity that is today's art world; and my box continues to get smaller. Now that I'm no longer a regular at my local diner just about all my communication is with three people, my wife, a local artist whom I meet for coffee and conversation on Wednesdays, and a photographer who lives in Sweden. Fading away into oblivion are the users, the posers, the fake it to you make it crowd. No more eye-rolling at those whoring themselves on social media, at the influencers, the trend jumpers, and the social and political activists masquerading as artists. Turning first into white noise then gradually fading into silence. Not a thought given about the pay to play schemes and the closed-off grant and fellowship system peppered full of cronyism. No more.

   Not one more minute scouring the internet for opportunities, for now on opportunities come to me or they don't come at all, like they did before social media began to make everyones decision for them. With social media dying a slow grueling death artists will be forced to communicate in another way, to become human again and not an online brand. Set yourself free.





Comments

Popular Posts