Manic Sunday - The Art Life

 There are around a dozen of these very old metal garages in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia but apparently that's only a small number of the original structures. Since I moved here almost four years ago I've seen several disappear and be replaced by larger modern wood garages. I'm unaware of the purpose of these smaller garages but I would like to have one and turn it into a small painting studio with a portable heater.




An artist friend of mine sent me this in an email and he was quite perturbed that people believe this crap. Crap is not the right.....it's FUCKING BULLSHIT. Anyone who thinks this is true is by no means an artist, knows no real artists and has seen too many movies.



I finally began rough sketching out my next painting and for this one I'm going back to the dark assemblages of "Through My Mind, Darkly" I need to collect some cardboard and when finished it will be based on the photo I took of someone pissing off the subway platform in Philadelphia.

* I have destroyed this canvas out of frustration and I’ll be taking a break from painting. I don’t really want to but I don’t want to force it.


This mornings breakfast was at Bob's Diner in the Roxborough neighborhood of Philadelphia. Bob's is only a few miles from my house and this 1947 O'Mahony built diner has gone mostly untouched since it arrived in Philadelphia. The staff and the regulars are great and it's a joy spending time with them even if I can never get Peter to open his eyes when I take his photo.






After breakfast it was back to Chestnut Hill to take photos. It's great to see some progress in the restoration of the Dorothy Shipley White House. There are several significant mid century modern houses in Chestnut Hill.

Advocates Mobilize to Save a Mid-Century Modern Icon


















Comments

Popular Posts