Big Bongo Night and I Like To See My Sheep

  Last Tuesday I did something that I haven't done in a long while... I boarded the train to New York City. No, I'm not beginning a new photography project nor did I take a single photo outside. Todays New York City doesn't interest me in the least so what made me go. The chance to attend not one but two David Lynch exhibitions. David is now represented by the famed Pace Gallery on 25th street and 11th ave and it is about damn time these elite galleries took notice. The title of this show is "Big Bongo Night" which features new paintings and lamps. The other exhibition is hung at the Sperone Westwater Gallery on Bowery near Houston street. This exhibition titled "I Like To See My Sheep" featured mostly newer works on paper mixed in with others from 2008-2010. Both exhibitions were fantastic and for the first time in awhile I felt that I was actually looking at art. Not propaganda or popaganda. Not so called art that had to do with social issues, politics or the politically correct. Real fucking art created by a real fucking artist! A man who leads the true art life and doesn't care about fame, the art market, trends, politics or the other crap being spewed on tv and social media. 

  The only annoying moments at the galleries were when people would enter and with their backs to the art never lift their head up from their phones. What was the point to coming unless it's just to post on social media that you were there.

 These two exhibitions made my year, maybe even my last four years. There are a couple artists that I can never get enough of and Lynch is one of them no matter if it's about his paintings, drawings, lamps, furniture, music, movies, tv, etc. The man makes Warhol look ridiculous and cheesy.



















Comments

Popular Posts